Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lighted acrylic "purse" block


I have had so many requests to provide directions on this, I am finally doing so.  I appologize for taking so long, but I have been involved with a new craft endevor, that I haven't had time.  I hope to be better on this in the future. :-)

This project is so easy, you won't believe it.

Supplies needed:

1 8x8  glass or acrylic block.  (if you are only putting lights in it - glass is fine - however it is heavy.  I prefer the acrylic because it makes it easier to adjust the "insides")
1 feather or fuzzy boa
1 35 ct. light set (you can get different colors to coordinate with your design)
1 set of purse handles
embelishments
1 1/2" to 2" wide coordinating ribbon
hot glue gun

-  Arrange lights in the block so that they seem to "fill" it and are not just clumped in one spot.  If you are using a block with a plug, make sure you feed the lights thru the plug first, and allow the light plug to hang out. You can make this side the top or the bottom.. It sits better if you have the cord come out the top, but if you ever need to change the lights, your stuck because of all the gluing you will be doing on top.  If you decide to have the cord come from the bottom - glue glass rocks to the bottom to create "feet" and allow room for the cord.  Pay attention to where you glue everything else in case you need to change lights. You can always add more things to the inside of the block, such as toys, blocks, ornaments, etc.... Basically, you are just limited to your own imagination.  For this one, I just chose to make zebra stripes by just cutting them "freehanded" out of stickable vinyl. 

-  Once you are satisfied with the inside, glue or xyron ribbon around the sides. Using a re-positional xyron sticker maker makes it easier to adjust the ribbon if you need to as you go around the block. Tip:Start and stop the ribbon at the light cord, overlapping slightly, in case you need to change the lights.

-   Using a hot glue gun, glue the boa around the top portion of the block and trim as necessary.

-  Hot glue the purse handles to the top.  Make sure they are secure, because it will be picked up by the handles at least once.  :-)

-  The front can be decorated any way you wish.  Use your imagination.   Since my niece loves pink zebra print, I did the stripes with coordinating embellishments.

I hope these instructions are easy to follow. I'm new to this blog "thing". Lol.  Feel free to ask any questions, and I would love to see your projects.  I'm gonna try to some other variations, so watch for more pics.

-K




13 comments:

  1. Hi,
    can you post instructions? Please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have finally added some instructions. Sorry it took so long. Let me know if you have any questions. -K

      Delete
  2. Hello! :) where did you find your blocks at please??

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glass ones you can find most any craft stores. The acrylic ones (which I recommend for this project) I found at Pat Catans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting instructions. WHere do you get the purse handles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These actually came of my own purse where I switched the handles and didn't need these anymore. You can usually find some at the bigger craft stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS! Where did you find the "stickable vinyl"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cute. I am thinking of doing something similar but without the handles. I am also new to blogging. Check mine out when you get the chance. Mine is creatingmomof4.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have the zebra pattern on both sides of the block or just the front? thanks & this is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are on both sides and can find stickable vinyl at any craft store by the cricut supplies.

      Delete
  9. And thanks for the kind words. I really love how this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding so quickly I wasnt sure you would with being such an old post I have had it on my favorites for a while now & just now getting to make one. Hope it turns out as retty as yours! Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Your welcome. Unfortunately, I havent had time to devote to this blog, and I am new to blogging to begin with anyhow. I still get emails when people post, so I at least try to respond.

      Delete